Sunday, May 6, 2012

Hiding Vegetables in Your Family Meals

Kids don't always eat their veggies (and neither do husbands). That is why I love this recipe for Turkey Zucchini Burgers from skinnytaste. It is tasty, easy, and about 150 calories! You will enjoy it even more because your family will have no idea that their burger is full of nutritious zucchini.

I followed the recipe except I finely chopped the red onion rather than grating it. I don't know why, I just hate grating red onion. In order to keep it low calorie, I ate it with 100% Whole Wheat Thin Style Buns from Sara Lee. The recipe says that it yields 5 patties, but I ended up making 6 regular sized patties and one mini patty for Zel. I only cooked two plus the mini burger and froze the other four to enjoy later. The first night I added regular burger toppings like ketchup, cheese, and baby spinach.


The second time around I got the idea to make a tzaziki sauce to go with it. I have made greek burgers before and they were a hit at my house. But these will be even better with the secret veggies. 

Here is a recipe for my tzaziki sauce:


Ingredients
  • 3/4 cucumber, chopped with seeds removed
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cups non-fat greek yogurt (I prefer the Fage brand)
  • lemon juice
  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed
  • about 1/4 cup dill
  • about 1 tsp cumin
  • salt to taste
First, cut the cucumber in half length-wise and use a small spoon to scrape out the seeds. Once the seeds are removed, chop the cucumber. Add the chopped cucumber, greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, dill, cumin, and salt to the food processor and blend until smooth. I don't usually measure the amount of lemon juice, I just add it until I like the taste. As a guideline, use about the same amount you would get from juicing one lemon. If you like your tzaziki thicker then add a little more yogurt. The sauce has the best flavor if you let it sit for a few hours or overnight.

Hope you enjoy this as much as I did. If you try it, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment