Saturday, April 28, 2012

Leftovers Smoothie

I strive to use all the food that I buy without having to throw old food away. Keeping this goal with a toddler around can be difficult. It doesn't help that my husband is not a fan of leftovers either (I don't get it). This morning my son, had a banana with graham crackers for breakfast. Inevitably, he did not eat the entire banana. Normally, I freeze leftover bananas to use for smoothies, but I thought I would use this one while it was fresh. In my freezer, I had assorted mostly, empty bags of frozen fruit. Then some leftover coconut milk in the refrigerator that needed to be used up caught my eye and I got this idea for a tropical smoothie. Here is how I made it:

  • 1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
  • 1/2 cup frozen mango chunks
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1/4 skim milk
  • 1/2 cup light coconut milk
  • cinnamon

Just mix all the ingredients in a blender. If you want more of a coconut taste, just use more coconut milk and less skim milk. Also, this smoothie is only around 250 calories!

As soon as I sat down to enjoy it, my son stole my cup and wouldn't let me drink it...I ended up grabbing another straw so that we could share (although he kept trying to drink out of both straws). It was delicious and toddler approved!

No comments:

Post a Comment